Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Becoming Multiliterate ...

For so many months, I have been living with these ideas, writing and composing deeply thoughtful pieces on multiple literacies. As an educator for the past fourteen years in K-12 and higher education, I am passionate about teaching kids in ways that engage and inspire. I don't have a clue how to solve the current problems in the American educational system, but if I had a roomful of kids and had to teach them math, or science, or reading and writing, I know that by the end of the day they would be excited about the things they were learning. Why aren't we reaching kids with the content we teach? We think its pretty exciting, why don't the kids? Because we are teaching and assessing them in ways that are contrary to the way they learn.

This post marks the first of many that will document my journey into the hallowed confines of the academic publishing world, as I look to publish my first book chapter, and eventually, my first book. I will be sharing ideas, theories, models and rhetorical arguments as I develop my brand as an educational researcher. This blog will serve as my very public whiteboard, and will hopefully inspire you to follow and contribute as well. I encourage you to add this blog to your RSS feeds, or at least bookmark it and check back often. Things are going to get interesting ...

No comments: